Federal Medical Centre, Owerri
Imo State, Nigeria.
21st Oct; 2020
The National President,
National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM),
The Acting Chairman of NANNM
Federal Medical Centre, Owerri
APPEAL FOR IMMEDIATE STOPPAGE OF 3% DEDUCTION OF OUR MONTHLY SALARY AS CHECK OFF DUES.
We, the nurses of Federal Medical Centre Owerri bring you Mr. President her Nightingale’s greetings. We are writing this letter as law abiding members of National association of Nigerian nurses and midwives (NANNM) to appeal to you to use your good office to order the immediate stoppage of 3% deductions of our monthly salary as check off dues.
It is absolutely worrisome and disturbing to us that the nurse, being a key player in the health sector in Nigeria, we are the least remunerated workforce but you through NANNM have subjected us all to untold financial burden and consequent hardship occasioned by this your policy of 3% check off dues from all nurses at Federal Medical Center, Owerri and nationwide.
More, following NANNM constitution article V subsection (a), “Every member of the association shall pay monthly check – off dues of 3% of monthly basic salary out of which 1% is professional and 2% actual check- off dues”. This constitution is not only barbaric but also inhuman to all Nigerian nurses, this article is insensitive to the financial burden faced by nurses as least paid core health workforce. Mr. President Sir, we are using this ample opportunity to bring to your esteemed attention as the leader and servant of the Nigerian nurses to urgently remove this ridiculous and outrageous clause of percentage on payment of our check off dues. The constitution rightly stated 3% of basic salary but this has been abused grossly as since the advent of consolidated salary structure system in the health sector, there have been no reprisal redress on the constitution to address this section of the constitution; but NANNM has continued the extortion of Nigerian nurses in gross violation of this section of the constitution.
READ THIS: THREATENED PROTEST BY AGRIEVED NANNN MEMBERS
It is unthinkable that NANNM being a professional association peculiar to Nigerian nurses to harness, develop, galvanize and unite the ingenuities of nurses over the years have only brought division and poor representation of nurses through your anti- nurses’ policies obvious among many is this 3% check off dues. It is hard to understand why an association with the highest number of workforce in the health sector will resort to using percentage in collection of dues from her members.
In reference to the constitution at article IV subsection 3ii, “any aggrieved member shall have right to appeal to appropriate organ of the association for redress.” With this in mind,
we make the following demands:
- We are giving a period of two weeks duration (14 days) on receipt of this letter to address the demands we have raised hereby.
- We demand immediate end to this outrageous 3% deduction of our monthly salary as check-off dues and revert to one thousand naira only (#1000) flat rate monthly for all nurses of Federal Medical Center, Owerri irrespective of cadre or seniority.
- Henceforth, we ask for termination of using percentage to collect check off dues. As it may interest you to know that other associations like Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) collects #1000 ( one thousand naira only) flat rate monthly from her members, even with less population as Nigerian nurses.
- We demand a total reform and review of NANNM constitution to reflect the realities of Nigerian nurses and gross cut on cost of running the association, including appointment of paid secretaries which ought to be an elective office.
- However,In event our honest demands are not redressed at the expiration of the stated duration, we will be compelled to assume that our demands fell on deaf ears, and we will consequently exercise our fundamental right to freedom of association as enshrined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 section 40(As Amended). Also in the constitution of NANNM, Article IV, subsection 4a.
- We trust you will allow fairness to prevail as you deliberate on the immediate redress of these urgent matters of concern. Accept the assurances of our esteemed regards.
THREATENED PROTEST GRIEVED BY NANNM MEMBER.
Imo State NANNM Chairman