Clamouring for DNSc degree: A way forward
Some of our colleagues opine that:
1. All Colleges of Nursing should be scrapped or affiliated to adjoin Universities for the award of BNSc instead of ND/HND Nursing of a thing.
2. Some even want BNSc programme to be abolished so that Doctor of Nursing Science (DNSc) degree be introduced instead, just like DPharm, DMLS etc.
Having qualified manpower is the key in achieving above.
1. How many professors of Nursing do we have?
2. How many PhD Nursing holders do we have?
3. How many MSc Nursing holders do we have?
Everything in academia is qualification-based and research-intensive.
So let’s utilize the extant OPPORTUNITIES of acquiring higher degrees; RN, BNSc, MSc and PhD Nursing programmes so that we can be amidst the academic ACTORS that will bring a desired change (DNSc) for our younger ones in due time. The time is NOW!
if you are still waiting for a start of 6-year Doctor of Nursing Science (DNSc) degree or RN to BNSc duration be reduced to 2 years instead of 4 years before obtaining your first degree in Nursing then you are part of Nurses’ problem and may God save Nursing from your type.
Most of the PhD Nursing holders we have today followed RN-BNSc-MSc-PhD academic pathway and with their unending efforts many universities across the country are offering both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing programmes and thousands of people (me inclusive) have benefitted and are still benefiting from their wealth of knowledge. May God reward them abundantly.
Finally, the choice is yours either:
1. To follow RN ND/HND- Postbasics pathway
2. To follow RN-BNSc-MSc-PhD pathway
3. To follow BNSc-MSc-PhD pathways
Nrs Ismail Gwarzo RN, BNSc, MSc