In previous years, enrolling in an advanced qualification program can be tasking and difficult thereby several numbers of nurses got discouraged from pursuing their educational goals for their career progression. This is because of the hassles of juggling work, family, and studies together, so it takes a great deal of effort and resilience. In this article, We will focus on the List of Distance Learning Universities In Nigeria
However, in recent years, there has been a tremendous shift in the culture of nursing education to being inclusive, that is, nurses are not left out of the diverse technology innovation that is changing the face of the educational system. In order words, several programs are being launched by different institutions to cater to the needs of nurses by considering their various demands.
Read Also: how to prepare for council exam
Furthermore, the majority of nurses now seek to enroll in programs that afford them the flexibility of learning from the comfort of their homes. Nevertheless, although these programs are self-paced, they require great discipline, commitment, time management skills as well as computer/technology skills to complete.
Most Best Distance Learning Bachelor Degree Programs in Nigeria adopt the hybrid model of training because clinical experience is vital to building competence in nursing practice.
Moreover, several online programs use web-based software to launch virtual classrooms where most of the learning will take place, therefore, you will have to use certain software to access course materials, submit assignments, take assessments, and interact with professors and other students.
So you might ask, which institution in Nigeria offers the online/distance education nursing programs?
List of Distance Learning Universities In Nigeria
The following are the universities offering Best Distance Learning Bachelor Degree programs in the country;
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- National Open University of Nigeria
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH)
- Ahmadu Bello University
Overview of List of Distance Learning Universities In Nigeria
The online distance RN-BNSc program at Obafemi Awolowo University equips nurses with critical skills and competence to meet the diverse demands of the nursing profession through an innovative curriculum designed by the institution. The program is affordable, flexible, convenient, and accessible from anywhere in the country.
Students would have to take core courses in Basic Nursing Philosophy and Practice alongside some elective courses in Law, Sociology, and Computer Science. In addition to the program requirements, students would be required to go for six (6) weeks of community and hospital postings in their 3rd and 4th year respectively, and would have designated Clinical Preceptors.
You need to satisfy the following requirements to enroll in the program at the institution;
- A registered Nurses by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (RN/RPN/RM/RPHN, etc).
- In addition, applicants must possess SSCE /GCE certificates (or equivalents) with credits in five (5) subjects obtained at not more than two sittings. The subjects include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
The program duration is for five (5) years.
- Tel: 08187056931
- Email: [email protected]
The Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree is an online distance learning education program at the National Open University. The institution believes in equal access to education, hence, the online nursing program is to aid in bridging the gap in advanced nursing education i.e help nurses gain higher nursing qualifications from any location within the country, which might be difficult or impossible due to their job demands.
To graduate, students would have to spend a minimum of four (4) years (or 8 semesters) from the level of entry (200 Level). Additionally, candidates must have a minimum of 148 credit units including the 18 units of University electives as well as must pass all compulsory (core) courses.
Read Also: School Of Nursing Vs Nursing In University
The B.NSc qualification can afford nurses the following potential career pathways: Acute Care Nurse, Community Nursing Professional, Critical Care Nurse, Dermatology Nurse Practitioner, Emergency Room Nurse, Epidemics Research Nurse, Health Administration Nurse, Hospice Nurse, Legal Consultancy Nurse, Nurse Anesthetist, Nursing Informatics Specialist, Nurse Midwife, Occupational Health Nurse, Outpatient Care Nurse, Pediatric Nurse, and so on.
To be eligible for admission into the program, you need to fulfill the following requirements;
- At least five (5) credit passes in not more than two sittings at the Senior Secondary School Certificate (WASCE/SSCE/NECO) examinations in the following subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Biology or Health Science, Chemistry, and Physics.
- Registered Nurse/Midwifery Diploma Certificate of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
- Six months of working experience, and a letter of attestation from the current place of clinical practice for registration.
- The entry-level for admission is 200 level as direct entry, hence the above is needed to be admitted.
- Tel: +234 (0)8079917938, 07064701747, 09082907092
- WhatsApp: +234 8079917938
- Email: [email protected]
The Ladoke Akintola University of Technology’s open and distance learning nursing program provides nurses access to high-quality nursing education that is of international standards. Also, they have the flexibility of remote learning to attain their educational goals.
The following are the criteria for admission into the university;
- Applicants must possess at least five (5) credit passes in SSCE/GCE/NECO/NABTEB at not more than two sittings in relevant subjects; English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- In addition, applicants should possess a Registered Nurse Certificate (RN) or its equivalent.
Program Duration: Four (4) years.
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Mobile: +234 816 774 4969, +234 809 468 9329, +234 703 505 0757, and +234 805 304 8767
The nursing program at Ahmadu Bello University is NUC accredited and aims to prepare graduates who demonstrate holistic, population-based perspectives and are critical thinkers, client advocates, and effective communicators in nursing practice.
The Candidates are required to take core courses in basic Nursing Philosophy and Practice with some elective courses in Law, Sociology, and Computer Science. Also, they would have to go for community and hospital postings in their 3rd and 4th year respectively for eight (8) weeks each semester with appointed preceptors.
The program equips nurses to take on roles such as Registered Nurse, Intensive Care Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Nurse, Nursing educators, and so on.
The eligibility criteria include;
- A Registered Nurse Certificate (with Nursing & Midwifery Council of Nigeria)
- Five (5) O’Level credits including Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at not more than two sittings.
- The Successful applicants are required to present their annual license at the point of screening, and those who haven’t renewed their license have to show evidence of payment for the renewal when coming for screening. ABU will also require applicants to pay 5,000 for verification of their license with the nursing association.
The program is a 4-year course for students that enter the program through the direct entry and begin from 20the 0 levels.
- Tel: 07034568005 (Guidance and Counselling Officer)
- Email: [email protected]
The recent development in nursing education that avail nurses the flexibility to enroll for advanced nursing qualification from the comfort of their homes are a step in the right direction. Nonetheless, you must carry out a detailed research about the program you intend to enroll in from trusted sources. Moreover, in order not to fall victim to scammers, you must ensure that you complete the admission process through the official website or admission portal of each institution.
Check this article: Professionalism In Nursing
Thank you for visiting our blog. 9ja Nurses designed to provide informative and educative tool for all nurses all over the world. If you have any further questions about List of Distance Learning Universities In Nigeria, you can drop your question in a comment section. We hope that you enjoyed our blog and will return to read more of our content, you can visit our site 9ja nurses blog