This article provides a List Of Post Basic Nursing Specialties In Nigeria 2023 and the admission Requirements for candidate aspiring to secure Admission for post basic Nursing Specialties in any of the schools.
The Nursing and Midwifery Council of NIGERIA is the accreditation authority responsible for accrediting programmes of study for the nursing and midwifery professions. To date, the Council has approved 209 nursing/midwifery training institutions to train students at degree, basic and post basic diploma level for various branches of nursing & midwifery practice. In this article you will read on the List Of Post Basic Nursing Specialties In Nigeria 2023/2024
It is a requirement that all training institutions undergo the accreditation process. Accreditation is a review process that evaluates nursing training programs. It is based on best practices and established quality standards. It ensures that nursing and midwifery programs meet or exceed a variety of standards. This process is necessary to ensure students receive the quality education for their professional field.
The Nursing Council of Nigeria handles complaints or reports received about illegal institutions and/or illegal programmes operating in Nigeria. Under the Nurses Act it is a criminal offence for someone to operate such an institution or to offer such a programme.
If you are aware of any institution that you think may be operating illegally or providing an illegal programme, Please share the information with us via our email [email protected]
In NIGERIA the under listed are the List Of Post Basic Nursing Specialties In Nigeria 2022
• Midwifery (maternal and child health nursing)
• Psychiatric Nursing
• Accident and emergency nursing
• Public health Nursing
• Paediatric Nursing
• Dialysis/Renal Nursing
• Peri-operative Nursing
• Occupational Health Nursing
• Anesthetic Nursing
• Ophthalmic Nursing
• ENT Nursing
• Burns and Scald/Disaster Nursing
• Oncology Nursing (in the making)
• Orthopedic Nursing
• Neonatal Nursing
• Intensive care Nursing
• Nurse Tutor/Educator
We provides you with the full list of Accredited school of post basic Nursing Specialties In Nigeria
- Intensive Care Nursing
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UATH, Abuja
- School of Psychiatric Nursing, Neuro
- Psychiatric Hospital, Kware
- School Of Post Basic Nursing, ABUTH.
- Post Basic School of nursing ibadan
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UBTH, Benin City
- School of Post Basic Nursing, OAUTHC, Ile-Ife
- School of Psychiatric Nursing, Eket
- School of Psychiatric Nursing, Maiduguri
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UMTH, Maiduguri
- School of Psychiatric Nursing, Federal Psychiatric Hospital, Calabar
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UCTH, Calabar
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UBTH, Benin City
- School of Post Basic Nursing, Irrua Specialist Hospital,Irrua
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UNTH Enugu
- School of Post Basic Nursing, NOH, Enugu
- School of Post Basic Ophthalmic Nursing,
- National Eye Centre, Kaduna
- School of post basic ENT Kaduna
- School of Post Basic Nursing, NOH, Dala-Kano
- School of Post Basic Nursing, AKTH
- School of Post Basic Nursing, UITH, Ilorin
- School of post basic Nursing luth
- A registered nurse with a minimum of two years working experience
- Holder of current practicing license
- Five credits including English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology at not more than two sittings
- WAEC OR SSCE with NECO combination
- NECO/NECO combination
Reasons Behind Choices Are Examined Below.
“…money answereth all things…” so says the Holy Bible. As quick as a lot of people are to deny that ‘call allowance’ was the chief reason behind their choice of specialty, the truth reflects with time. This is not to say it’s wrong if a specialty earns more than the other as It happens everywhere. And it’s cool if you ask me.
- How To Renew Nursing And Midwifery license In Nigeria
- How to set up pharmacy business in Nigeria
- How To Set up A Clinic or Nursing home in Nigeria
- Best Nursing Homecare In Nigeria
Duration Of Training
On the average, the length of training in most nursing specialties range from 1-2years with most spanning 18months. Some nurses are interested in short duration courses like Ophthalmic Nursing, while others prefer one with a more lengthy academic calender of 2yrs like public health.
Yes! Some courses are more expensive than others. E.g courses like anesthetic and intensive care nursing are more expensive compared to psychiatric or Midwifery training. Therefore some nurses prefer a specialty that is financially less demanding.
Location Of Training School:
Some nurses don’t like to stay too far away from their families so as not to put their homes in the line for career chase. This applies especially to married women with children. So they chose a specialty that is available in their location.
Professional Independence :
It is unarguably true that some specialties have more professional independence than the others e.g peri- operative nursing is the most professionally independent specialty in Nigeria (need no prescription or doctors orders) while research nursing wears the Hat world wide. Some people want to have a definite work schedule and fewer questions to answer from medical doctors.
Worthy of note is that every specialty is optimally but NOT equally relevant. Therefore in a country like Nigeria where child birth is the leading cause of maternal mortality, Midwifery tops the list of most relevant specialties. As many as midwives are, we can never have enough of them, the reason some go for it.
Midwives who are business oriented can easily put together a maternity home while peri operative nurses can have a private CSSD, not to mention the entrepreneurship opportunities of some other specialties, however it may not be that easy for an intensive care nurse or a dialysis nurse to go outside the conventional hospital practice. Nurses who think along this line may want to take a critical look at their choices and ask enough questions.
- Best Nursing Schools In Nigeria
- Nurses Salary In Nigeria
- Masters Degree In nursing
- List of Nursing courses In Nigeria
- Best Online Nursing Programme In Nigeria
Want the true definition of a messy job? ask the accident and emergency nurse or the midwife. It sometimes amazing how they pull off each day without throwing up. However an ophthalmic nurse is not likely to be involved with that much mess at work everyday. Some skirmish nurses would love to choose based on this modality.
No doubt nurses will have to deal with deaths, tragedy, loss of a limb, and worse at one time or the other, but the frequency is more in some departments than the others. A psychiatric nurse or a midwife is not likely to see so many deaths as against an A & E nurse who sees them everyday ranging from ‘Brought in dead’ to ‘Failed Resuscitation’.
Intellectual Capability/ Physical Strength
I consciously made this point the last because it is a boarder line deception to think that one specialty is more intellectually/physically challenging than another.
Nursing is not cheap, not any part. Let us know in the comment which are the best Post Basic Nursing Specialties In Nigeria that you loved the most.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it using the buttons below! CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR TELEGRAM PLATFORM