In this article you will read on NURSE (Outreach) At Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
NURSE (Outreach) At Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. Médecins Sans Frontiéres provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. www.msf.org
The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understanding, advocating, implementing, and monitoring universal hygiene standards/precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security regulations, and other protocols and procedures in medical facilities, as well as guaranteeing high levels of cleanliness in his/her working environment.
- Always keep medical secrets and confidentiality in mind.
- Organizing and carrying out medical prescription-based care and treatments, as well as aiding during consultations, daily rounds, and other medical procedures.
- Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
Identifi/ing Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensure patients are received, installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- For ITFC/ER nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carry and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Sorting patients based on need of urgent / immediate medical treatment and directing them for appropriate care.
- Ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and directs them to the doctor.
Administer first aid care to patients in need and directs them to the doctor.
- Admission and follows up severe acute malnourished less than 10 years old (SAM < 10) children with appetite to the mobile Ambulatory’ Therapeutic Feeding Center (ATFC) and refers the eligible to appropriate centres for care.
Admission and follow up of PLM with SAM into the Nutrition program.
- Links up with Health Promoters for defaulter tracing and with counsellors for psychosocial support.
- Replenishes the Medical Doctor’s emergency box in collaboration with Pharmacy.
- Accompanies patients in need of secondary care to various institutions.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, securit,’ rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Respect medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the appropriate care and treatment center. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Participating in data collection and compilation in collaboration with the Nursing Team Supervisor.
- Supervising and training nurse aides, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures Supporting the MD while doing consultations
- Carries out follow up of patient consultations and reverts difficult cases to the MD
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical procedures and participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor of Nursing Science/Diploma in Nursing essential. Additional Diploma in Nursing/Midwifery desirable. Required license to practice
Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience in Nursing practice with MSF, other INGO/NGO or Private medical facility.
- At least 3months experience in outreach/mobile clinic desirable
- Languages: Local language (Hausa, Kanuri, Shuwa) essential. English highly desirable.
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientated, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management.
MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates
Only through email at: [email protected]
Subject: “Application for the Post of Nurse (Outreach)”
Deadline: 10th December 2021