In this article you will read on NURSING TEAM SUPERVISOR (2 positions) At Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – MAIDUGURI
NURSING TEAM SUPERVISOR (2 positions) At Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – MAIDUGURI
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. Médecins Sans Frontiéres provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. www.msf.org
The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Carry out the functions and tasks associated to his/her specialty, i.e. perform as a nurse, midwife, lab tech and anesthetist, whenever required or needed, in order to optimize the resources, contributing with his/her knowledge and experience.
APPY: MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR EDUCATOR At Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – 9ja (Naija) Nurses
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her specialty.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Carry out and/or supervise the ( decentralized) pharmacy and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, etc.)in his or her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring that cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols.
- Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the dayto-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking. Give feedback/ reports to medical focal point.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Check whether the patient files are filled in correctly (e.g. documentation of feedings, weight graphs, documentation of important information in the nurse’s notes, etc.).
- Follow up of the stock of blank patient file documents (e.g. doctor’s notes, nurse’s notes, PEWS, Resomal sheet, SDTM sheet, dietary prescription, discharge forms, etc.). Inform the expat Nurse Activity Manager in a timely manner when the quantities become low, so that photocopies can be made before ruptures occur Medical care
- Assist the nurse team leaders in bedside coaching and training of the nurses, nurse aids and nutrition assistants. Report the training needs to the Nurse Activity Manager in order to create and organize teaching tools and trainings together.
Supervise the quality of nursing care provided: e.g. preparation and administration of medication, measuring and interpretation of vital signs, application of the medical protocols, clinical follow-up, re-hydration, and early detection of the medical complications.
- Make sure feeding sessions are correctly done, well documented and ensure the participation of all staff.
- Supervise the anthropometric follow-up: correct measurement and documentation of the weight, height, MUAC and oedema.
Assist in the morning ward round to identify problems that should be attended to immediately.
Check whether the nurses, nurse aids and nutrition assistants understand the medical instructions to be performed (e.g. calculation of drug doses, calculation of infusion rate, steps in case of deterioration of the patient, changes in the medical and nutritional treatment, etc.).
- Ensure a good and complete handover between the different shifts
- Assist the nurse team leader in supervision of the hygiene of the units and the equipment. Instruct the responsible person if needed.
- Supervise the respect of the standard precautions and additional precautions by all staff members.
Support the nurse team leader with the inventory of the pharmacies in each unit and with the composition of the pharmacy order. Report discrepancies in consumption to the Nurse Activity Manager.
- Assist the nurse team leaders in the follow up of the medical equipment in the ITFC departments: cleaning, maintenance, daily inventory.
- Perform nursing care if necessary (e.g. in case of heavy workload, in case of doubt or problem for any staff).
- Overall responsible for correct waste segregation and disposal as per MSF protocol, constantly monitoring and reminding team leaders and staff of the importance.
- Make sure all staff in ITFC knows their tasks and how to perform in a satisfactory way. Ensure that the dignity and confidentiality of the patients and the caretakers is respected. Patient orientation
- Ensure that comprehensible health education sessions are given for all caretakers, performed by the health promoters and the medical staff.
- Make sure that communication between the mental health counsellor and other medical staff is clear and that mental health support is given to patients/caretakers needing it.
- Make sure that attention is paid to the psychosocial stimulation of the patients (HP, nurses, nurse aids, nutrition assistants).
Teamwork and cooperation
- Ensure a good working relationship between all the staff in all the departments.
- Assess and solve problems occurring between the patients and the staff.
Assess and solve problems occurring between staff, in collaboration with the expatriate Nursing Activity Manager
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor of Nursing Science/Diploma in Nursing, Anaesthetist or midwife essential. Required license to practice
- Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience in Nursing practice with MSF, other INGO/NGO or Private medical facility essential. And in developing countries desirable.
Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting Languages: English essential. Local language (Hausa, Kanuri) desirable.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientated, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management.
MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates
Only through email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: “Application for Nursing Team Supervisor”
Deadline: 10th December 2021
Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.