As it is the need of the new learning era there is an innovative method of evaluation for clinical skills in practice at many nursing boon institutions around the country and abroad.
Initially it took more planning and much critical thinking when OSCE came out as a successful innovative method indeed.
OSCE was first used in 1970 as an assessment of competence carried out in a well-planned, structured and objective based. It was well established within medicine and increasingly used in nursing education.
It is a practical, real-world approach to learning and assessment. The OSCE content and scoring procedures are standardized. It is a station type examination is conducted forming different clinical stations under a subject stream like in nursing subjects medical surgical nursing can be a subject for which stations can be prepared assigning each station a specific task and time. Students can be called out according to roll number where students have to go through each station in an arranged sequence finishing the task. Some or all of the stations have to be supervised.
OSCE has become a very important tool for both teaching faculty and students as well. There are some necessary tips that can be kept in mind for preparing this format for the exam. It is used to assess clinical skills among both graduate and postgraduate programs. OSCE may be used as formative or summative assessment together with other methods where we know summative assessment is used at the end of year and formative assessment is smaller portions between the year.
It is a framework that identifies the stages of skills students should achieve. It also is a way for students to show away or demonstrate their knowledge and understanding by performing in a simulated setting.
Formative or mock OSCEs also increase confidence and competence. Students preparing for an OSCE should:
- Be psychologically prepared;
- Be familiar with how equipment works;
- Know which procedures/guidelines are to be used in the OSCE;
- Be familiar with checklist/marking criteria;
- Rehearse skills;
- Know the timing of the OSCE;
- Develop skills on clinical placement;
- Revise the underpinning theory of skills;
- Use feedback from mock/formative OSCEs;
- Use available resources such as guided study, quizzes and videos;
- Check whether they should wear uniform
Thereare things to keep in mind important to understand about OSCE
- The OSCE environment
- Marking OSCE
- Students feedback
There are few advantages of OSCE
- OSCE can complement other ways of evaluation and learning.
- OSCE fosters a deeper approach to learning and encourage more meaningful understanding of the subject.
- OSCE gives relative confidence to students to face practical situations.
- OSCE is an effective way to teach and student’s clinical skills to make them more confident to face the situation. All of us as nursing professionals should welcome this whole heartedly to make our future more confident and promising.