Nursing is a professional course, which is high in demand in nearly every country.
Nursing as a medical discipline is concerned with the care of sick persons. They aid in the smooth running of affairs in the health industry. By implementing clinical methods and practices, they care for and educate the patients.
Nurses are open to diverse job opportunities both within and outside the country; they are hardly found unemployed. Most persons prefer to study in private universities due to the quality and in-depth training received. Private universities offering nursing in Nigeria do not also go on strikes as opposed to Federal and State Universities.
Why Study Nursing In Private Universities?
Nurses trained from Private Universities are to mark the difference in their training by their ability to properly identify and make thoughtful decisions for appropriate action delivery when met with emergencies. The Private Universities are resolute about maintaining the standards of the Nursing and Midwifery Council for the education of Nurses and Midwives.
Most of these Private Universities operate with permanent structures as opposed to the familiar practice in some Nigeria Universities, which function in poorly erected infrastructures or rented apartments or buildings. Some Private Universities offer Admission without Jamb and have the most conducive learning environment with spacious libraries, fully equipped with the necessary learning materials like books and facilities that meet the student’s demand.
Objectives of Private Nursing Universities
Facilitate and promote the use of high standards and teaching methodology in the physiological sciences
To imbibe the right principles of success, hard work, sacrifice, teamwork, ethicality, and professionalism in the students.
To maximize the importance of teaching and research through public outreach, scientific ideas, scholarly publications, and corroborative exchanges.
Duration of Study
Private universities offering Nursing in Nigeria offer the Basic Program as a five-year course.
On completion of the first degree or Basic Nursing program, the students obtain a (B.Nsc) course for Universities and may get a relative certificate like HND, OND among others for other Institutions of higher learning. After the Basic Nursing/Midwifery education, the students undergo a compulsory one-year entry training alternatively known as horsemanship to most Nigerians.
List of Private Universities Offering Nursing in Nigeria
Below are list of Private Schools That Offer Nursing in Nigeria
- Achievers University, Owo, Ondo State
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State
- AfeBabalola University, Ekiti State (Read Also: Accredited Schools of Nursing In Ekiti State)
- AjayiCrowther University (ACU), Oke-ebo Oyo State
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Kwara State: This is an Islamic University
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo, Ogun State
- Bells University, Ota: also known as BellsTech University
- Benson Idahosa University (BIU), Benin-City: It is a Christian Private University
- Bingham University, New Karu, Nassarawa
- Bowen University, Iwo: established by the Nigerian Baptist Convention, Iwo, Owun State.
- Caleb University, Lagos
Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State: . NURSING Students preparing to start up a career in this institution can only obtain a Pre-Nursing degree in the course, which spans for two years after which they proceed to another Institution to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN)
- Crawford University, Igbesa, Ogun State
- Crescent University, Abeokuta, Ogun State: Established by the Islamic Mission for Africa
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State: It is a Private Christian University
- Igbinedion University, Okada. (Read Also: Schools of Nursing & Midwifery In Edo State)
- Landmark University Omu-Aran, Kwara State: a Private Christian University, affiliated with Living Faith Church Worldwide.
- Lead City University, Ibadan: Formerly known as City University, Ibadan.
- Madonna University, Elele, and Okija in Rivers and Anambra State respectively
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Redeemer’s University, Gbongan-Oshogbo Road, Ede, Osun State,
- Veritas University founded by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria
General Requirements for Studying Nursing in Nigeria
The standard requirements of private universities are not different from those of other Nursing institutions in the country.
Students studying Nursing in Private Universities, expect their candidates to meet the following expectations not just at the time of their admission, but also throughout their course of study in the school.
you have to five credit passes in the O’level examinations which must include Mathematics and English Language and gotten from WAEC or NECO. Passing the entrance examinations into the Institution is one of the premium requirements for admission.