Top 10 Marketable Nursing Specialties in Nigeria 2023
In this article, we have compiled a list of Top 10 Marketable Nursing Specialties in Nigeria 2022 And Short explanation which one you choose and how to become a Nurse Specialist.
To make a right decision keep reading our post and find out the most Marketable Nursing Specialties in Nigeria
Top 10 Marketable Nursing Specialties in Nigeria 2022
A perioperative nurse is a registered nurse (R.N.) who works in the operating room. Sometimes called a surgical or an operating room nurse, this specialized nurse cares for patients before, during, and after surgery.
In the operating room, the perioperative nurse may serve as a scrub nurse, selecting and passing instruments and supplies used for the operation, or as a circulating nurse managing the overall nursing care in the operating room and helping to maintain a safe, comfortable environment.
Responsibilities And Duties
- Working with patients prior to surgery to complete paperwork, and help answer questions or calm fears about surgery
- Monitoring a patient’s condition during and after surgery
- Selecting and passing instruments and supplies to the surgeon during operation (sometimes referred to as a scrub nurse)
- Managing the overall nursing care in the operating room to help maintain a safe and comfortable environment
Choose this Specialty If: you are interested in providing physical, emotional or mental care for women before, during, or after the birthing process.
Registered Nurses (RN) provide and coordinate patient care, educate patients and the public about various health conditions, and provide advice and emotional support to patients and their family members. Most registered nurses work in a team with physicians and other health care specialists in various settings.
Choose this Specialty If: you are seeking a career in the medicial field that allows you to work within a healthcare team to care for patients and would like to begin working only after two to four years of schooling.
If you’re a Registered Nurse (RN) looking for more autonomy working with patients in an operating room, intensive care unit, or surgical facility, then becoming a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist might be the perfect job for you.
A nurse anesthetist provides pain medication (anesthesia) care for patients before, during, and after surgery. They administer medications to keep patients asleep or pain-free during surgery and constantly monitor every biological function of the patient’s body
Responsibilities And Duties
- Preparing patients for anesthesia, including physical assessment and preoperative teaching
- Administering anesthesia to a patient
- Maintaining anesthesia during an operation
- Managing recovery from anesthesia
Choose this Specialty If: you are interested in assisting patients manage their pain before, during and after surgeries or illness treatments.
- Best Nursing Schools In Nigeria
- Nurses Salary In Nigeria
- Masters Degree In nursing
- List of Nursing courses In Nigeria
- Best Online Nursing Programme In Nigeria
- List Of Marketable Medical Courses In Nigeria
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE
A public health nurse looks at many factors when assessing illnesses or injuries. Instead of waiting for patients to come to them, they are active in their communities to help improve the health of the population. Because they are trained as registered nurses, they can offer accurate and helpful information about how people can protect their health.
Responsibilities And Duties
- Assessing health trends to identify health risk factors specific to communities
- Assigning priorities for health-related interventions to provide the most significant benefit
- Advocacy with local, state, and federal authorities in improving access to health services in under-served communities
- Design and implement health education campaigns and activities for disease prevention
- Provide information on local health programs and services that are available to improve access to care
Choose this Specialty If: you are interested in helping the health of large communities of people rather than working one-on-one with a patient.
INFECTION CONTROL NURSE
Ebola virus & Lassa fever really killed quite a number of people, but with the help of specialized Nurses and healthcare professionals trained in infection control, we could manage this dangerous and highly communicable diseases.
Highly-paid area but there lies a fatal risk job. Get blood pathogen and infection control certification. Your life is in line, but don’t worry you get rewarded and trained for the battle.
Accident And Emergency Nurse
Accident and emergency nursing refers to professionals who work in emergency rooms or other emergency settings to care for patients in need of urgent care.
A&E nurses are often the first point of contact for patients as they enter a hospital setting. Primarily based in the emergency department of hospitals, A&E nurses tend to encounter a plethora of conditions in patients that are in a highly critical state.
Responsibilities of an A&E Nurse
- Maintaining care standards in accident and emergency
- Assisting with checking in patients, doing triage work for doctors and generating initial insurance paperwork
- Working with doctors to keep patients and their family members updated on test results or treatment recommendations
Choose this Specialty If: you would like to assist patients with a wide variety of injuries or ailments in a high pressure scenario.
CRITICAL CARE NURSE
Critical Care Nurses are very similar to Registered Nurses, especially in education level, but the main difference is a critical care nurse is specifically trained for emergency situations. A critical care nurse can be expected to tend to serious wounds and monitoring life support systems in stressful scenarios.
Choose this Specialty If: you would like to assist patients in major traumatic events such as serious injury or life threatening illness
Mental health nursing, also known as psychiatric nursing, is a specialized field of nursing practice that involves the care of individuals with a mental health disorder to help them recover and improve their quality of life.
A mental health nurse is responsible For:
- Assessment and evaluation of the patient’s mental health
- Development of treatment care plan
- Consultation with other health professionals about treatment plan
- Provision of care and psychotherapy treatment
Choose this Specialty If: you are interested in developing a meaningful relationship with patients in order to provide them with an all-encompassing level of care that helps their emotional and mental needs.
A nurse midwife specializes in the care of pregnant women. They also assist in labor and delivery, as well as in prenatal appointments. Nurse midwives continue their care after the delivery room by educating and counselling new mothers on adjusting to life with a newborn.
Choose this Specialty If: you are interested in a holistic approach to women’s health and childbirth.
The treatment of cancer is what oncology nurses are highly trained in, and they help educate patients about their treatment options or remission status. Oncology nurses will continue to monitor their patients progress and symptoms, and can prescribe medications.
Choose this Specialty If: you are seeking a nursing profession that allows you to care for a patient who is facing a critical illness and you are able to educate your patient and their families about treatments and different possible outcomes.
An otorhinolaryngology nurse – also known as an ear, nose and throat nurse – cares for patients with diseases or injuries of the ear, nose, throat, head or neck. Often referred to as ENT nurses, otorhinolaryngology nurses assist in the treatment of both acute and chronic conditions, including ear infections and allergies, laryngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, sleep apnea and injuries such as broken bones. ENT nurses treat all ages of patients, from infants to the elderly, with a sizable pediatric patient population.
Have worked in this sector before, the most interesting part of it is that you get to travel to different parts of the country. Nurses care to patients en route to a medical facility via aircraft. Here you need to have basic training on flight experience and language to provide your clients with the best experience onboard.
If you love adventure and you’re more flexible with location you should consider this. Though having knowledge of emergency is a must to practice here. So go get BLS ECG ACLS FirstAid HSE done.
Nurses who serve in a branch of the military and are specially trained to provide medical care to patients in military clinics or hospitals, or near combat zones. The benefits are enormous although it a service and commitment to the country.
- How To Renew Nursing And Midwifery license In Nigeria
- How to set up pharmacy business in Nigeria
- How To Set up A Clinic or Nursing home in Nigeria
- Best Nursing Homecare In Nigeria
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it using the buttons below! Click HERE to join our telegram group